Craven County, North Carolina
was originally named Archdale in 1705 when it was formed from Bath County and its name later changed to Craven in 1712 and named for William Craven, The First Earl of Craven (1608-1697), one of the eight Carolina Lord Proprietors.
A listing of the Craven County Daughter Counties and the
Formation of North Carolina Counties.
The Craven County Seal was designed and adopted in 1981 and is based upon the coat of arms of The Earl of Craven. The seal motto “Virtus In Actione Consistit” means “Virtue Consists In Action.”